
So today has been one of THOSE days. I don't have many...thankfully!! John had his 4 year old check up today...for those of you who have lived to tell the tale of this experience, my hat goes off to you. It just about killed me. John was amazing...he walked right back, weighed in (39.5lbs), measured up (42.5inches), got the heart, eye & ear check, did all the jumping around and walking on tip toes the doctor asked and even agreed to get the 4 shots he needed. This was after the doctor gave me a 'tsk tsk' stare because I had not discussed the shots with John previous to this appointment. To which, I asked her how she might convince a 4 year old to get into a vehicle to go to the appointment after having said discussion. Then came the needles and upon visualization of the agreed upon shots, it was fight or flight for that little man. In addition, I had Jacob with me, who is still scarred from his last vaccination (he had a really bad reaction to the DTaP vaccine). Those two boys screamed so loud, the other children in the rooms adjacent to ours began screaming as well...not because something bad was happening to them but because the screams they heard were terrifying. Trying to give a feral cat a bath doesn't even do justice to what it was like trying to get John his shots...especially when his 1 year old brother was stepping in to his rescue. Plus the weeping mom pinning her child down and fighting off the youngest while they stab your oldest child repeatedly. Well, we made it through that experience...I think I'm still shaking though. Thankfully, John's good for shots until he's 11 years old...except for the flu shot. I'm just not going to think about that one for the moment. I just hope they don't ask me to hold him down at his 11 year old appointment...somehow I don't think I'll have size in my favor at that point.
After completing this we ran a quick errand to our favorite breakfast place (Tamale House)...Jacob was still furious with me and this grew to beyond livid as I placed our migas on the front seat. He had determined that I had gotten french fries (as is custom when going to a restaurant) and was not sharing them with him. He continued the banshee wailing from I35 & 51st street to our home in Round Rock (19.3 miles). Once we reached our destination, he was content that I had not withheld the french fries and was not the least interested in eating a miga. This brings us to 11am. After the weeping, wailing and nashing of the teeth, we had some lunch and we all took naps/quiet time.
The afternoon played out much better. I think we headed back into the positive with a little wrestle mania this evening between John and Jacob...there was lots of giggles. The boys are both happily asleep and I do think tomorrow will be a much better day. Plus we have all kinds of good stuff planned for the weekend...more birthday celebrations of the fun kind!!!
NOTE: This is a picture of John at about 3 weeks old...I thought the facial expression was appropriate for the mood of this day ;)
1 comment:
Oh Moni,
I am sooo sorry. There's almost no way to comfort a mama who has to wrastle her own kid!! And that paper on the table gets all torn up! Sheesh! You are brave!!!!
We had ONE shot at Sam's last appt and I thought the nurse was going to file charges against Sam. He was all of a sudden kung fu master and kicked her in the shins (repeatedly) and punched me in the face. If I hadn't have been crying, I would have laughed at how strong he was! I have often wondered how Sam would react to being forced to do something...this was reassurance that he can take care of himself.
Post a Comment