Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Spit-up-osaurus


This is what my sweet, cute little Ryan looks like a lot of the time these days. I try to write about all the fun, good things we do, but sometimes things weigh heavy on me. Ryan over the last couple months has been spitting up ALL the time. He and I have to change clothes several times a day and, on days like today, we go through TONS of burp clothes (soaked 11 today). He is even spitting up oatmeal, which is supposed to stay down because it's so thick and heavy. We are now trying a new formula for 1 week and if there is no improvement, it's time for medication. If there is no improvement after that, they are going to do an upper GI. This picture was taken after his second bottle on the new formula...to quote Legally Blonde, "Desired results, I think not!" I was doing ok until I talked to the pediatrician today and she said that reflux does not just show up after 6 months like the problems Ryan is having, which is a concern. On the positive, he is gaining weight like crazy...he's almost 20lbs and not even 6 months yet (my biggest boy yet)...and he's happy...very happy. So I am hoping this formula will kick in because I would prefer to not go down the medication route. BUT, I will do what I can to keep him from having to do the upper GI. After having one myself, it's not fun for a grown woman...can't imagine what it'd be like for such a little guy. Of course I'm going to have to figure out how to get his older brothers from sneaking him pieces of fish sticks when I'm not looking (dear, sweet Jake fed Ryan a couple nibbles of his fish sticks while I was cleaning up the kitchen tonight...amazingly they stayed down)!

No comments: